Sunday, April 11, 2010

So ready to get off the island 4/5/10

My dog has left me because i was not very nice to her this weekend. She kept following me into church and making a big embarrassing scene. So I tied her up but she chewed through the rope and found me and then I had to yell and throw stones to get her to leave (not at her really just sort of in her direction, I would never actually stone a dog). Anyway now there’s no more church and I want my friend back but yeah I guess it doesn’t work that way. I deserve it but I hope she comes back before I go to Vila. I was planing on feeding her lots of meat this week to fatten her up in preparation for my departure. Dogs here just eat scraps from the kitchen, which is what she’ll have when I’m gone. It’s enough to live off of but I want her to be big and strong and healthy and all that. DESOLE MARIE! MI SORI TUMAS! Ki Gio!

My mosquito repellent and parasite cream has run dry, I have a bitch of a kava hang over and the Bishop is here. It’s Easter week and I managed to escape church on Thursday but had to go Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Today, Monday, I was nearly forced to go (in a nice way, as they do here). A friend brought me a new dress to wear to the Bishop’s mass and then came to check if I was ready to go. I had to tell her sorry I’ll be late. Yeah 4 hours late. Oops haha. I’m sorry but I’ve been to three masses this weekend. And I’m not Catholic so I think that’s good enough. Anyway there’s going to be lot’s of traditional dancing and drinking kava with the Bishop tonight and I need to rest up for that. Not to mention all the work I have to get done before I get to Vila this week. Yikes! Time to get back to work. I’m also currently trying to make a baked potato on a gas stove, I don’t think it’s going to work out. It also doesn’t help that it’s not a potato. It’s some relative of a sweet potato, Kumala, the not so sweet potato.
I’m also typing up a letter for the South Malekula Land Committee to take to Court as evidence on a land case and there is some pretty funny misuse of language. “Approximatively” that made me laugh out loud. “Juridical” is actually a real word but I almost corrected it cause I'd never heard it before. And then they are confused about the meaning of condone. “We strongly condone Mr. Martin’s wrong moves and bad attitude.” Well if you condone his behaviour then why are you going to court against him? Other fun unrelated language differences: barrel=paddle “did you bring a barrel for the Canoe?”, sevem=serve/sieve; “They’re sevem kava now” Two very different steps in the Kava process. It’s either time to drink or they haven’t finished making it; sel=coconutshell/shellfish/sale/sell “we’re selem copra.” Could mean they are selling it or taking it out of it’s shell. “Are you going to have a sel?” Could mean a yardsale or a shell of kava.

ok next blog will be my Vila update. I'm staying for two full weeks!

xoxox
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment