Friday, August 27, 2010

A message from the future to Man Vanuatu

I come from the future. Did you know that? I come from a world of microwave ovens, internet, computers, heart surgery, video games, gang violence, crack hoes, obesity, etc. I know you guys are psyched to have all these new stores with all this imported candy and chips but your children are going to have diabetes and plenty of cavities as a result, and possibly obesity. I know this because I come from the future and these things have already happened in our society. Like they say in that movie ‘The God’s Must Be Crazy’, every time man has come up with ways to make his life easier he has in fact made it more complicated. I look at the lives of man Vanuatu and I think wow you are chilling all the time that must be great. Because if you can, why not? But for us in the future if you led a life like that with papa working part time in the garden, a stay at home mom, and five kids you’d have to be on welfare. But if you own all your own land and grow all your own food then why should you have to work for the anything else? It’s really a Utopian system. If the rest of the world didn’t exist to make you want to buy all it’s cellphones and satellite dishes, you could live like this forever but alas that ship has sail… literally a boat sailed up to your little island 230 years ago and there is nothing you can do about it but prepare for the inevitable. All I’m saying is appreciate what you’ve got, don’t sell your land, get your kids to the highest possible level of education, and enjoy the lack of social pressure to wear clothes without holes in them. Ta! -pis cop blong yu.



If there’s one thing I’ve learned here it’s that development as we see it in the US is not the best fit for all places. I feel bad for Americans and especially American kids that they have to grow up in suburbs with no natural swimming holes and trees full of fresh fruit to climb and pick. These kids here in Vanuatu haven’t been corrupted with high fructose corn syrup. They crave mandarins, mangoes, sweet corn, and fresh lemonade, not bubble gum, Doritos, and soda. I remember in Elementary school it was drilled into us that the US was the best country on earth and that we were so lucky to be here and not starving in Ethiopia (or my parents would have been told starving kids in China and today’s kids probably hear about starving kids in Afghanistan). But not all developing countries are starving. That is a very small percentage or the developing world. And I would argue from what I see here in Vanuatu that the developing countries that still rely on their traditional eating habits are probably eating better than Americans.

When my group of 40 Peace Corps volunteers arrived in Vanuatu last September, everyone one was freaking out because the people didn’t eat enough protein. Influenced by the Adkins craze of the last decade, we were shocked that these people were so uneducated about some crazy American food fad. Many immediately started a campaign to get people to eat more meat. But now looking back I see that the people here actually know more about eating healthy than we Americans do. And it was wrong of us to jump in and expect we know best because we’re more educated. When they eat the island food it’s based on root crops then lot’s of fruits, then vegetables followed by meat. Pretty much fits into the food pyramid. Plus it’s all 100% organic and locally grown. They don’t eat a lot of meat, true but they eat it nearly everyday, and they also eat nuts. Anyhow when I think about the mainstays of my university diet; Chinese takeaway, ramen noodles with frozen veggies, hot dogs, beer, and splenda products, I’m shocked by how bad it was. All of it processed, rarely fresh, organic, or local. The reason I was eating that way was because I had no money and I think that kind of diet is reflective of a lot of lower income Americans. You always think that no matter how bad we are eating in the states, all those millions of people in developing countries are eating much worse. Well think again. As a rule people that are eating as they’ve been eating for thousands of years have a more healthy diet than those that change their eating habits every 10 years due to a new scientific discovery. We haven’t figured it all out yet. When we do maybe we’ll know better than they do but in the mean time maybe we should try to eat more like our ancestors, or more like people in developing countries.

I should note that it’s not all good here. In the last 20 years people have started eating more rice, tinned meat, and over processed Asian imports. Hence the warning in the first paragraph. Island food is pretty healthy but people are moving to a more unhealthy diet because they see store bought food as more prestigious. My neighbor just lost his leg to Diabetes.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post and insight. I had to get out my thoughts on my blog: http://desertwindstropicalbreezes.blogspot.com as a result.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting!! I like the post.

    Al

    ReplyDelete